Saturday, November 27, 2010

Sticks and Stones will....

This morning my Dad and I went to talk to my Aunt that is living in a well, shitty situation. That word fits better than any proper word found in the dictionary. We confronted and talked for about 5 hours. Typically this is way too long for a fly by the night intervention, but since it was family I thought it was an exception. She is staying with us tonight to allow her to get a good nights rest and to stay away from the South Side of Chicago.

I was able to see her irrational thought process unravel as our conversation grew longer. This man she was living with has completely manipulated and abused her mentally and physically. She has lost the majority of her self-respect, self-esteem, and self-worth. She still wants to go see him after all the abuse and believes that she loves him. She has her own problems that need to be addressed, but he is a scum bag. I hope God gives her the strength to walk away and get help. We went to great lengths to convince her she is in a bad situation and needs to get help. It is ultimately up to her to make the choice.

Sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will never hurt me. Whoever made that song up was lying.

1 comment:

Jasmine said...

Quite proud of you...